As the weather gets colder and the holidays approach, local families are looking to the churches, soup kitchens and food pantries for assistance.
Food items most needed are the following:
- cereal, peanut butter, jelly
- rice, kidney beans, macaroni and cheese, pasta
- canned fish, meat, vegetables, fruits and soups.
- pre-packaged cakes and pies, as well as cookies or cookie mixes
- beverage items such as coffee, tea, hot chocolate mix, apple or grape juice
Donations can be dropped off at the following locations in Patchogue:
- The , 95 E. Main Street
- The , 179 E. Main Street
The Lighthouse Mission, located at 1543 Montauk Highway in Bellport, will also be accepting donations throughout the holiday season.
On Thanksgiving Day families can receive a hot meal at a variety of locations. The United Methodist Church of Patchogue located at 10 Church Street will be hosting a free Thanksgiving Day dinner. It will be held from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
at 510 Ralph T. Perry Drive in Patchogue will also be hosting a special dinner open to anyone. Planned by local churches, it will be held from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Anyone who wishes to make a donation to fund the dinner may still do so through the and United Methodist Churches in East Patchogue and Bellport respectively.