An East Patchogue fire department member is reported to be in a medically induced coma while fighting off a deadly bacteria that is eating him alive.
Ralph Lettieri Jr., 26, was admitted Sunday to for necrotizing fasciitis flesh eating bacteria, reports WABC-TV's Eyewitness News.
His father, Ralph Lettieri Sr., told Eyewitness News that his son underwent six surgeries in three days, and that doctors were forced to remove more of his skin and flesh to stay ahead of the bacteria.
Lettieri Jr.'s leg is now reportedly completely exposed, he has double pneumonia in his lungs and has been put in a medically induced coma Tuesday.
The family does not know how Lettieri Jr. contracted the disease, which is reportedly fatal in 25 percent of cases.
According to the report, he is transferring to Nassau University Medical Center Wednesday and being put in a hyperbaric chamber.
Patch talked with Lettieri Jr. in , as he had the idea for the 's application to . Lettieri Jr. also has a Youtube channel featuring several fires that the department has battled.
Source: WABC-TV Eyewitness News