Two cats and two dogs perished in a house fire in Medford Wednesday afternoon.
According to Medford Fire Department Chief Bill Hart, the fire department received a call at 2:37 p.m. of a blaze on Maple Street near the intersection of Southaven Avenue.
Firefighters from Medford were aided by Brookhaven, Hagerman, North Patchogue, and Holtsville Rescue & Command. The Farmingville Fire Department was on standby.
No one was home at the time so no injuries were reported. Four pets, however, did not survive.
The cause of the fire is still pending investigation. An initial overview suggested that it may be due to the fireplace, officials said.