The proposed details regarding a possible closure of the Holtsville Ecology Center are posted on Brookhaven Town's website as part of the 2013 Tentative Budget.
The document, which is on their website and attached in the PDF section of this post, lists the following regarding the possible closure:
- Closure of the complex includes the swimming pool, the zoo, the ecology center the greenhouse and Safety Town.
- The Town reports that the complex was heavily used by non-Town residents, resulting in local taxpayer money subsidizing that use.
- The Town recommends immediately planning for the safe transfer of the animals at the zoo with a budget of $50,000.
- The Town recommends attempting to sell the complex or issuing a request for proposals for an alternate private use for the site.
- Highway Department personnel who work at the complex will be reassigned to the duties within the Highway Department.
Other proposed cuts, which are listed under "Discontinuation or Modification of Certain Non-Core Services," include the discontinuation of the adult day care program, the respite program, the Women's, Veteran's and Mobility Services, elimination of, eliminating duplicate services in the youth bureau, most park rangers, streamlining of the Jitney program and staff reductions in the Office of the Supervisor.