.

Fire Island Cleanup Award Under Scrutiny a Second Time

Army Corps of Engineers said work will progress while investigation around second bid is underway.

A protest has been filed on the second contract award for cleaning up Sandy debris on Fire Island, according to a Newsday report which states that work will progress while an investigation gets underway.

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers said clean up will move forward, according to the published report, while the Small Business Administration evaluates whether the bid was given to the proper contractor under small business requirements.

Cleanup at Point O' Woods and Davis Park should begin this weekend, according to Newsday.

It’s the second challenge in the cleanup contract award effort.

The first bid winner, a Central Islip contractor, was tossed after a protest by another bidder claimed the contractor did not meet RFP requirements.

The second award, announced last week and given to a Bay Shore firm, is now also under fire for not adhering to specifications in the RFP.

The Army Corps is aiming to have the cleanup work completed by end of March as the season for Piping Plovers will prevent beach access.

Earlier this month the Fire Island National Seashore reported there will be several beach opening delays due to Sandy’s visit last October.

PatP. February 15, 2013 at 10:45 PM
Doesn't anybody do their job any more ? Who checked to see if the contractors have all the papers that are needed...

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »