The Adult and Young Boaters Public Safe Boating Course will be offered this winter at the West Islip Communty Center on Higbie Lane, beginning Tuesday, April 9, from 7:30 pm to 9:30 p.m. by the United States Power Squadron – America’s Boating Club.
Pre-registration for the first 30 students will take place online (click the link to “GSB Public Course Schedule.”) In-person registration will take place on the first night of the course, from 7 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
The Adult and Young Boaters (from 10 years old and up) Safe Boating Course will meet on the following dates: Tuesdays, April 9, 16, 23, 30, May 7, 14, & 21, 2013 – covering the following topics: You are the Skipper – what would you do?, Boat Terms and Types, Aids to Navigation, Boat Handling, Navigational Rules, Adverse Conditions and Emergencies, US and New York State Regulations, boat trailering, Personal Water Craft, Charting and Piloting, Navigational Charts, Plotting a Course and the Mariner’s Compass, Calculating Distance, Speed, and Time, and Determining a Position.
The benefits of taking this course are as follows:
- Qualifies for the new Suffolk County Law requiring mandatory safe boating course training for boaters.
- Most boat liability insurers provide a 5 percent discount of boat premiums, which continues from year to year.
- Provides the required instruction and certificate for jet ski operation in New York.
- Will receive the required certificate to operate a power boat in New York for under 18 year olds.
- Certificate is earned, which is required to operate a boat in New Jersey waters and in waters of other states requiring a boating “license.”
- Includes six months free membership in the Great South Bay Power Squadron, which offers year round advanced boating courses to members, as well as a complete social calendar.
This course is taught by New York State Certified volunteer instructors of the United States Power Squadrons. “The Squadron” is a non-profit organization of boating enthusiasts who have already taught over three million students how to make their boating safer and more enjoyable. The course is offered to Adults and Young Boaters (from 10 years old and older) in over 500 local areas nationwide. The course is free, but there is a nominal fee of $75.00 for the Boating Book and plotting instruments.
For additional information on the Public Safe Boating Course, please go to “GSB Public Classes,” at www.gsbps.org, send an email to: email@example.com or call Richard Fogel, Squadron Educational Officer at 631-224-9025.